Pages

August 29, 2017

My family immigrated to the United States from Vietnam. I had no choice in the matter. My parents sought a better life for their kids, so I said goodbye to my grandmother, aunts, and uncles.  I don't think I was aware of what was going on.  Perhaps as aware as an apple is being plucked from a tree.  There was a mad dash the final days. We had a ton of paperwork to sort out, vaccinations to undergo, and somehow even managed to take one last picture with my mother's side of the family who would stay behind. Lots of tears shed as my grandmother would kiss and hold us so tight as if it would be the last time she'd see us. 

After 10 long years separated from his family, my father would reunite with his with a wife and 5 kids in tow.  While my paternal grandparents by and large were nice, our family experienced a great deal of hardship including trying to figure a more permanent residence, assimilating to a new culture, navigating a new life etc.

Sometimes, for the sake of a more dramatic story, I claim our family made the perilous voyage by boat but alas, we came to the U.S. by plane.  This was made possible by Catholic Charities and some unsung heroes from Caritas. I was four years old then.  Many South Vietnamese refugees were not so lucky and were forced to do whatever was necessary to escape the fighting between the U.S. and the Communist North which included evacuations by boat http://nyti.ms/2vq6Qrc

My family would have been like those families making the voyage by boat if Caritas and hadn't taken us in.  Our grandparents understood that we needed help, and so they helped us.We lived with them for about 6 months, and during that time my dad worked tirelessly to ensure we would have a place of our own.
That was our story, in brief. We were in transition at the time, it forced us in a short amount of time to find our footing. 

We're not that different from the scores of Houston families now - all responding to a situation outside of their control, mothers and fathers doing their best to secure their children, and good people helping each other.

Today, I share my story in support and with deep empathy for the many homeless families due to Harvey.  It hits me personally because my family been where they are.

And to you Houston families, it is natural to think that the rain and hard times will never end. Please trust me: things will get better and there are wonderful people who care and are fighting for you everyday.

No comments: